Click to go to home page of Dr Lindy Crocker Civil Marriage Celebrant Hills District, Sydney, and surrounding regions.
Civil Marriage Celebrant
JP, PhD, M.Ed, BA Dip Ed, LTCL

'Hear Together' CI and HA user friendly

Mob 0415 410 410

Dr Lindy Crocker Civil Marriage Celebrant Hills District, Sydney, and surrounding regions.



Frequently Asked Questions

How soon can I get married?
There is a waiting period of one calendar month after the chosen celebrant receives the Notice of Intended Marriage.

How old do I have to be?
You need to be over the age of eighteen years.

Can I be married if I am 16 years or younger?
If your partner is over eighteen and you are over sixteen years of age you can apply to the court for permission to marry.

After I sign the Notice what period of time do I have in which to get married?
The Notice of Intended Married is valid for 18 months.

Can I get married sooner than one calendar month?
It is possible. Your celebrant will fill out the documents and give you a letter to take to the court to request permission to shorten the time. There is no guarantee that permission will be granted.

Can I change my celebrant?
If you wish to change your celebrant the Notice of Intended Marriage can be transferred to the new celebrant and there is no waiting time.

Do I need to have witnesses?
Yes, you will need two witnesses who are or appear to be over the age of eighteen.

How long does the ceremony last?
It depends on the wording you have chosen but usually is approximately one half hour from beginning to end.

Can the ceremony be conducted in a language other than English?
Yes if the celebrant speaks the language of the couple and the witnesses.

What documents do I need?
You will need to have a Birth Certificate or a current passport will suffice. You will also need the document relevant to the termination of a previous marriage. Plus photo ID eg Drivers License.

What if I am waiting for my divorce to come through can I still sign the NOIM?
Yes but you cannot be married until the divorce becomes final.

My fiancé is overseas and I am the sponsor. What do I have to do?
You go to the celebrant and fill out the NOIM with all the details of yourself and your fiancé. The celebrant will give you a letter for the Immigration department which you give to them with your application of sponsorship.

If I get married overseas will my marriage be valid in Australia?
Some countries are recognised. However you will have to contact the Immigration department or Consulate of the particular country.

Can I get married anywhere I want to?
You may be married in any location within Australia or under the water or in an aeroplane providing it is within or over Australian territory.

Can I get married on the beach?
You will have to make an application to the council in your area for permission. Some councils will have a fee, others are free.

Can I get married in a public park?
You will have to seek permission from the relevant council. Some parks are free others there will be a charge.

Do I have to register my marriage?
No, the celebrant attends to this.

How do I go about changing my birth name to my married name?
There is no legal requirement to do so but you may do so by presenting the Standard Certificate of Marriage to various government institutions.

Do I get a Marriage Certificate on my wedding day?
The celebrant will provide you with a Commonwealth Marriage Certificate which although a legal document will not be accepted by Service NSW or Passport Office as legal proof of your name change. You will have to apply to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the State or Territory in which you were married for a certified copy of the Marriage Certificate.

Do I need to provide a table and chairs?
You will have to discuss this with your celebrant. Some celebrants provide this equipment and others do not for insurance purposes.

Should I invite the celebrant to the reception?
This is not a requirement. If you wish to do so then by all means invite them.

Are there any dress requirements?
You may dress in any garment you consider suitable. If you are wanting a special theme to your ceremony then you would need to ask the celebrant if they are happy to wear particular attire.

What if someone objects to the marriage in the wedding ceremony?
A civil ceremony does not include any wording that allows someone to object to the wedding. If such an objection was voiced however, the celebrant would quietly take you and the objector aside to establish the reason for the objection.

Can I write my own vows?
Yes. The only vow that must be said is the wording from the Marriage Act 1961 and you may add your own wording to it.

Specialising in Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill, Pennant Hills, Hornsby, Beecroft, Cherrybrook, West Pennant Hills, Turramurra, Epping, Pymble, Cheltenham, Hornsby Heights, Berowra, Dural, Gordon, Killara, Lindfield, Roseville, Chatswood, Parklea, Kellyville, Blacktown, Windsor, Richmond, Kurrajong, Parramatta, Bella Vista, Galston, Westmead, Northmead, Quakers Hill, Rosehill, Harris Park, Greenwich, Lane Cove, Hunters Hill, Balmain, Darling Harbour, Sydney, McMahon's Point, Manly, North Sydney, Seven Hills, Stanhope Gardens, Terry Hills, Dee Why, Sydney City and all other suburbs in the Northern and North Western Suburbs of Sydney. Also Newcastle, Picton and Wollongong.

 Links   Site Map   Disclaimer

Copyright © 2014 Lindy Crocker CMC. All Rights Reserved. E&OE   
photographs by Philip Crocker © 2004